The floor of your home is the backdrop on which you place your furniture, soft furnishings and drape your curtains. The right flooring can really assist in creating the right mood in your home or office space.
Choose a floor that fits in with your décor but also takes into account the foot traffic in that area. You cannot deny the aesthetic appeal o the place but you also have to factor in the functionality aspect. For example installing a wooden floor or highly polished parquet in the lobby of a busy building is going to see you replacing those floors within a couple of years.
Choosing Good Flooring Companies in Dubai
- Get representatives from different flooring companies to show you what is available, or go and visit their showrooms.
- If you are replacing an existing floor, then ascertain whether your quote includes removal of the old flooring.
- Get comparative quotes. Ensure that you are comparing prices that quote by the square meter. If glue, insulation or other hardware needs to be installed, you need to take this into account when checking price per square meter.
- Get the area you are wanting to floor measured up by a representative from the company ensuring that you get an accurate quote.
Commonly Used Flooring in Dubai:
The word parquet has its roots in ‘parquetry’ meaning the use of small scrap pieces of wood. The use of parquet flooring goes back 3 centuries, and ironically was reserved for wealthier homes in Europe.
- Parquet is easy to install.
- Parquet can be glued or hammered into the floor below.
- Parquet is hard wearing, and damaged blocks can easily be replaced without lifting the whole floor.
- Parquet is sealed and should therefore only need a wipe with a dry soft mop every few days.
- You can usually re use parquet if it has been lifted carefully, so buying second hand parquet, if available, is viable.
- Parquet is usually placed in a herring bone or basket weavepattern, but lends itself to more complex patterning with the insertion of different color woods in triangles, smaller rectangles and other shapes.
Wooden flooring is still highly desired throughout the world. Today you can get a variety of ready to lay wooden floor strips and wooden flooring systems, in a variety of different woods, textures and colors.
- Wood strip flooring is
warm both physically and psychologically.
- Wood strip flooring comes in a variety of different woods, and can even be painted to achieve a different look and feel.
- Wood flooring needs to be mopped and vacuumed as dust can get caught in the grooves between slats.
- There are a variety of good plastic products on the market that emulate wooden flooring, and are cheaper to buy and install.
Vinyl or Laminate Flooring
Vinyl or laminate flooring has become hugely popular all over the world, specifically for use in high traffic areas, and when there is a reduced budget for flooring. Laminate flooring is easy to clean and easy to replace, making it an ideal choice for hospitals, schools, corporate hallways, bathrooms and restrooms.
- Vinyl flooring is affordable.
- Vinyl flooring is
waterproof, and will not swell or distort if exposed to water for a short length of time.
- Vinyl and laminate flooring comes in a variety of different colors and patterns, and has a wooden floor knock off which is very realistic on first glance.
- Laminate flooring is fire retardant.
- Vinyl flooring is easy to clean, and does not damage easily.
- Vinyl flooring is slip –proof, which makes it a good choice for high risk areas in schools and old age homes.
- One can buy vinyl flooring in tiles or sheets.
Installation of flooring
When installing or maintaining flooring, keep the following in mind,
- Ensure that the space that is being floored is clear of debris, furniture and valuables. Keep the dust factor in mind, especially if installing any type of wooden flooring.
- The installation company should check the quality of the screed (concrete) before they lay the flooring. If there are any holes, or dips this should be rectified before any more work takes place.
- Get the flooring company to check whether your floor is level.
- You may have to adjust your doors to accommodate the new floor level, so that your doors open and close with ease. Your flooring company may offer this service or you may have to find a handyman with the right equipment and skill to shave off the underneath of the door and/ or re hang your doors.
- Ensure that all edges are neat, parallel and tacked down properly.
- Check the detailing where two different floors may join each other as you enter a different space.