If you are living or conducting business in the UAE, it is more than likely that sooner or later you will need translation services. The UAE is regional economic nerve center and host to expatriates, visiting businessmen, and immigrants from around the world. While English is widely spoken, the official language remains Arabic, and many official documents will need to be legally translated before submission. Additionally, business might be conducted in a myriad of languages including English, Arabic, Hindi, Chinese and many more. It is little wonder that we are seeing a multitude of new translation companies in Dubai, while demand for legal translation in Abu Dhabi is also rising.
Whether you are looking to translate the new contract you want your client to sign or your spouse’s visa papers, here are some tips towards finding the right translator.
When do you need interpretation or translation services in Dubai?
In most cases, you will require certified or legal translation in Dubai for the following scenarios:
- Documents submitted to authorities for visa or other purposes are often required to be translated into Arabic (for example – birth and marriage certificates submitted for local attestation)
- Legal documents submitted to a court of law in civil or criminal procedures. In this case you may require legal translation, which is readily available at many translation services in Dubai. There are many companies offering legal translation in Abu Dhabi as well.
- For business purposes – when dealing with local or international clients, you may often find it necessary to hire interpretation or translation services in order to ensure proper communication with your clients or employees, who might not be native English speakers.
How to choose between translation companies in Dubai?
Here are some key points to look out for:
- Is the translator or translation company skilled in the language pair you need? For example, one popular type of translation service in Dubai would be English to Arabic and vice versa. Most people can speak some English, but if you need an official translation, you should make sure the translator has proper grasp of the intricate grammatical, spelling, and structure rules for each language, and will be aware of highly attentive to detail when necessary.
- What kind of translation do you need?
For example, while any proficient translator will do if you’re looking just to translate your written or spoken business communications, certain governmental and legal institutions will require legal translation, which must be done by a certified translator (which will usually have some background in law). It is also worth checking if other procedures, such as notarization or attestation, will have to be completed before the document can be submitted to the required authority: Legal translation services in Dubai will often be able to offer a “package deal” for this type of documents, which could be more beneficial.
- Does your translation service provider have references or previous work to present?
Just like any other professional, there is no better judge of the quality of a translator’s work than the public at large. Demand to see previously completed translation projects (ask for both the source and the translated text – respectable companies offering legal translation in Abu Dhabi or Dubai should have no problem producing these). Ask for references from previous clients. If your service provider is reluctant to show examples of their previous work they might be new to the field or employ unskilled translators.
- Does the translator have any certifications or credentials? For example – a higher education degree in one or both of the required languages, or a certificate from a known professional institution such as the American Translators Association.
- Is your translator aware of the requirements of localization? Does your translator know the differences between British, American and Australian English? How familiar are they with local and international cultural nuances and sensitivity?
So if you need translation services in Dubai get quotes from affordable and competitive providers instantly.