Cladding can be applied to any commercial or residential building, depending on your budget and what cladding you choose. Cladding a building involves fitting a frame over the super structure and installing panels in the frame. The panels can be made from a variety of different materials and perform different functions.
Cladding is usually applied to new or existing buildings with an eye on aesthetics. An old building can get a complete face-lift with the installation of cladding. There are many cladding companies in UAE which do an excellent job but you need to be sure of what cladding you require.
Choosing the Correct Cladding
- Environment – is the cladding environmentally harmful or potentially toxic? Does the cladding provide insulation which makes heating and cooling of the building efficient?
- Aesthetic – Does the cladding blend in with its environment, or is it designed to make the building stand out?
- Endurance – does the material used for the cladding have maximum endurance capabilities in the UAE climate in which it is installed?
Common Types of Cladding
PVC cladding is used widely on residential buildings as well as commercial, because of its lower cost in comparison to other material used for cladding.
- Limited maintenance of cladding required.
- No varnishing or painting required.
Stone cladding is widely used for a variety of reasons. Marble, granite, sandstone, limestone and many other beautiful natural stones provide an interesting aesthetic.
- Stone cladding is more expensive than most cladding, but has long durability.
- Drainage needs to be properly designed with stone.
- Stone cladding is always applied with a gap leaving a handy gap for insulation if required.
- The initial investment cost is high, but the longevity and maintenance costs, is lower.
Wood cladding can come in many different hardy types of wood. Wooden cladding is also called shingles, especially when it is installed in overlapping wall cladding tiles.
- Wood is aesthetically pleasing and warms and cools easily.
- Wood needs more maintenance than most other cladding.
- Wood cladding needs to be varnished or painted yearly to protect it against rotting.
- Wood cladding needs to be protected against wood borer beetles and termites.
There are a few types of metal cladding.
- Corrugated steel or corrugated iron is usually specified for industrial buildings. It is inexpensive, but very specific in its look and feel. This can rust over time, although this can be mitigated by using galvanized steel.
- Aluminium cladding is ideal for application in extreme hot weather conditions. Aluminium cladding will not rot, rust or fall victim to termites. Aluminium cladding is comparatively expensive.
Engaging a Cladding Company
- Most companies that install and repair cladding will have specialist representatives able to explain the different systems to you, with their pros and cons.
- Cladding will usually be chosen in conjunction with your architect and possibly an engineer, especially if it is a large building.
- Most cladding companies will undertake to do the installation for you. They have the necessary equipment to get the job done.
- Always keep an eye on the environment when making your building choices.